- Microsoft is dead serious to bring Office to all devices and platforms. This includes Windows and Mac, iPhones and iPads, and Android. Office Mobile is now free for iPhone and Android Phones and comes preinstalled on Windows Phone. "All" does not appear to include BlackBerry.
- Office for iPad is very impressive. It's a free download, but without Office 365 subscription, it can only be used to read or present. OneNote also got an update today to bring it up to the same design. Again, very nice addition.
- I will reserve judgement until next week's Build conference, but Office for Windows currently looks like a dead duck on touch devices. I just hope for Microsoft, that they have Metro apps up their sleeves to be introduced next week.
- I have an enterprise angle on everything I see. So Active Directory on Azure was more important to me than Office on iPad.
- And on the same agenda, I am still a bit confused on how Microsoft is improving Intune to support their announcement of an Enterprise Mobility Suite.
In the enterprise however, using iWork is a PITA. You have document conversions, which never really work. Having native Office apps on iPad hopefully takes a lot of those headaches away. But Office 365 cannot possibly be the only way to license these apps. Many enterprises use different licensing schemes today.
What I cannot get over is the striking difference between the iPad apps and what Microsoft has done for Surface so far. Worlds apart.
"Free download" link links to your site ;)
No editing without an Office 365 subscription makes me stay with iWorks for private use. It is just too expensive as I do not need this on several devices when I still have Office 2007 for Windows.
BTW: The download link still links to vowe.net :)
First things first: the link works (for me).
Second: it is great to finally have an app that is able to at least show even more complex ppt correctly. At work, we still have Office 2007 with lots of integrated tools - a full switch to Office 365 will probably only happen much later. But hey, I can now review ppt files sent to me and give feedback while on the phone. (A simple comment function even in the free version would of course rock...) Thanks, MS.
Iwork suite for ipad is not free, is it?
It's free with every new iPad. And very affordable for old ones.
Too bad you can only rent via Office 365, when you can buy it I might think about it. Still having a plain old Office Pro license here.
What do you mean with "What I cannot get over is the striking difference between the iPad apps and what Microsoft has done for Surface so far. Worlds apart."? What's better the better version, iOS or RT?
iOS is far better. On RT it runs on the desktop with tiny controls.
Office apps for iPad do not play with every child... It's a pity, that they do not even allow to "open in" documents in other apps. Only mailing a document as attachment and saving to SkyDrive is not what I would expect from a business app.
Oh sorry, I forget, that you can also use a URL to a SharePoint-Website... but that has to be directly reachable in some kind (same WiFi network, SP accessible from the Internet or VPN to the enterprise). Is that a realistic approach for every corporate environment?
It's like the family where the nieces and nephews always get the shiny presents but the own children not.
Sascha Langfus on Meine erste Fahrt mit Uber at 19:55
Volker Weber on Belkin QODE Thin Keyboard at 16:25
Ralf ter Veer on Belkin QODE Thin Keyboard at 16:16
Hubert Stettner on Lumia Cyan rollout continues at 16:11
Volker Weber on Lumia Cyan rollout continues at 15:34
Adam Gartenberg on Tweet of the day at 15:16
Stuart McIntyre on Lumia Cyan rollout continues at 15:09
Volker Weber on Meine erste Fahrt mit Uber at 11:37
Christian Henseler on Meine erste Fahrt mit Uber at 11:31
Volker Weber on Tweet of the day at 11:18
Ludwig Deruyck on Tweet of the day at 10:50
Frank Quednau on Tweet of the day at 10:42
Stephan H. Wissel on An update on IBM Mail Next at 09:50
Chris frei on Meine erste Fahrt mit Uber at 05:54
Federico Hernandez on Meine erste Fahrt mit Uber at 05:26
Ingo Seifert on Meine erste Fahrt mit Uber at 02:51
Nils Michael Becker on Meine erste Fahrt mit Uber at 23:14
Martina Kautz on Meine erste Fahrt mit Uber at 22:22
Bodo Menke on Meine erste Fahrt mit Uber at 22:19
Michael Schermann on Meine erste Fahrt mit Uber at 21:50
Roland Dressler on Meine erste Fahrt mit Uber at 21:45
Volker Weber on Meine erste Fahrt mit Uber at 21:30
Christian Henseler on Meine erste Fahrt mit Uber at 21:07
Hubert Michl on United Carry-On Luggage at 16:24
Ralf M Petter on An update on IBM Mail Next at 09:47