Why IBM can't fix small things

by Volker Weber

process22
Artist: Jessica Wu Ramirez

IBM is an army. They can inflict some serious damage. But it becomes next to impossible to do the little things. Things that take a few minutes or hours. Even the smallest of problems (have to) become big problems.

This of course is very frustrating to the individual. Because no longer big is killing small. Fast is killing slow.

Comments

Haha, hier und da noch ein gehöriges Mass an Inkompetenz dazu, und du hast meine Company :D

Kristof Doffing, 2012-07-31

A perfect illustration and caveat for those contemplating an ERP project with any global services organization. In contradiction, the customer is subordinated to the omnipotent process.

Ein perfektes Beispiel für die Einschränkung und Kontemplation ein ERP-Projekt mit einem beliebigen Global Services Organisation. Im Widerspruch, wird der Kunde auf die allmächtige Prozess untergeordnet.

Chuck Howe, 2012-07-31

or Microsoft or , etc.

Dennis Ellison, 2012-07-31

The artist works for IBM. :-)

Volker Weber, 2012-07-31

> The artist works for IBM. :-)

Your point being? I took Jessica's comic as humor, nothing else.

> Things that take a few minutes or hours. Even the smallest of problems (have to) become big problems.

You are over simplifying. Sure it is easy to say X will only take a few minutes to fix. But when you are dealing with millions of users on a product which has numerous variations of how that product is used, you can't just change things on the fly.

This is no different then any other major company/corporation.

Simon O'Doherty, 2012-07-31

> I took Jessica's comic as humor,

It is humor. Much like Dilbert.

> nothing else.

Sure?

> This is no different then any other major company/corporation.

I always pointed out my friends grades before telling my mother about my grades.

Volker Weber, 2012-07-31

> Sure?

Yes I am sure.

Simon O'Doherty, 2012-07-31

Hah. Finally found somebody who thinks corporate humor is baseless. That's CEO material.

Volker Weber, 2012-07-31

> Hah. Finally found somebody who thinks corporate humor is baseless. That's CEO material.

Apart from putting words in my mouth, are you trying to intentionally goad me into an argument? Because I am not interested in starting one.

Or do you just like being rude to people comment on your blog in a civil fashion? Because I can stop commenting too if that is what you want.


Simon O'Doherty, 2012-07-31

Simon, you are supposed to laugh. Maybe some other day.

Volker Weber, 2012-07-31

Recent comments

Markus Michalski on Jabra Firmware 2.4.5 for Evolve2 65 at 16:59
Matthias Welling on Scanning websites with Blacklight at 13:43
Stefan Sperling on Scanning websites with Blacklight at 13:41
Ben Langhinrichs on Scanning websites with Blacklight at 17:55
Karl Heindel on Scanning websites with Blacklight at 16:17
Volker Weber on Jabra rüstet kabellose Ohrhörer Elite 75t mit ANC nach, kündigt Elite 85t an at 14:35
Michael Jäckel on Jabra rüstet kabellose Ohrhörer Elite 75t mit ANC nach, kündigt Elite 85t an at 14:04
Martin Maerz on Scanning websites with Blacklight at 13:17
Volker Weber on Scanning websites with Blacklight at 13:17
Karl Heindel on Scanning websites with Blacklight at 12:41
Karl Heindel on Scanning websites with Blacklight at 12:39
Ursus Schneider on Scanning websites with Blacklight at 12:33
Andy Dennis on watchOS 7 verursacht Probleme mit der Akkulaufzeit at 11:59
Volker Weber on Scanning websites with Blacklight at 11:44
Matthias Welling on Scanning websites with Blacklight at 11:42
Martin Weber on Jabra rüstet kabellose Ohrhörer Elite 75t mit ANC nach, kündigt Elite 85t an at 16:48
Nils Michael Becker on Facebook threatens to pull out of Europe if it doesnt get its way at 15:47
Ian Bradbury on Facebook threatens to pull out of Europe if it doesnt get its way at 14:30
Andy Mell on Facebook threatens to pull out of Europe if it doesnt get its way at 09:15
Klaus Schneider on Facebook threatens to pull out of Europe if it doesnt get its way at 09:12
Hans Giesers on Facebook threatens to pull out of Europe if it doesnt get its way at 09:07
Frank Quednau on Facebook threatens to pull out of Europe if it doesnt get its way at 08:33
Ursus Schneider on Facebook threatens to pull out of Europe if it doesnt get its way at 08:11
Ragnar Schierholz on Facebook threatens to pull out of Europe if it doesnt get its way at 06:40
Gaerttner Harald on Warum funktioniert die Handschriftenerkennung schlecht? at 03:32

Ceci n'est pas un blog

I explain difficult concepts in simple ways. For free, and for money. Clue procurement and bullshit detection.

vowe

Contact
Publications
Stuff that works
Amazon Wish List
Frequently Asked Questions

rss feed  twitter  amazon

Local time is 22:51

visitors.gif

Paypal vowe